It's quite simple really!
Register as a teacher.
Here's all you do:
- Register at www.financechallenge.org.
- Once you have registered as a teacher, you can create student teams of 3 to 4 students.
- After creating the teams you will be given unique access codes for each student. Distribute these access codes to your students when they are ready to compete.
- The Decathlon will be open March 5 - April 5, 2013.
- Once competition begins, students can enter the web site and complete a 30-question exam covering 10 areas in personal finance. Click here to read the descriptions of the 10 areas being tested.
- Each student will be given 35 minutes, but all team members must complete the exam within 3 hours.
- Supervision must be provided for the online challenge to ensure legitimacy.
- Team members must be separated for the online challenge. (Teams who have done well in the past have been known to form study groups before the challenge.)
- During the online challenge, each student is allowed a blank piece of paper and a pen or a pencil.
- Calculators, phones, or other electronic devices are not allowed. The use of internet or other resource materials is prohibited.
- Scoring: the sum of the top three individual scores on each team make up the team score. Scoring on individual tests are as follows: +10 points for each correct answer, -5 points for each incorrect answer, and 0 points for each unanswered question. Please note the penalty for incorrect answers in developing your strategy for wining.
- The winners of the Decathlon will be invited to State Competition at The Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis on April 17, 2013.
- The state winner will travel for a national competition in St. Louis, MO on May 20, 2013. Up to $1,500 will be provided to this team to support travel costs.