To participate in the North Carolina Personal Finance Challenge ONLINE! simply do the following:
- Register at www.financechallenge.unl.edu
- Click on North Carolina as your state.
- Register as a teacher.
- Once you have registered as a teacher, you can begin to create student teams of 4 students per team. Prizes are awarded based on online test performance.
- After creating the teams you can download unique access codes for each student. Distribute these access codes to your students when they are ready to take the Challenge.
- The North Carolina Personal Finance Challenge ONLINE during the window provided. To see full details, please click on the "Dates and Times" menu item to the left.
- Once competition begins, students can enter the Personal Finance Challenge ONLINE website and complete a 30 question rapid fire exam consisting of questions pertaining to: Income and Money Management; Spending and Credit; Saving and Investing; and more. Student will be given 35 minutes each, but all team members of each team must complete the exam within a 3 hour window.
- Scoring: the sum of the top three individual scores on each team make up the team score. Scoring on individual tests are as follows:
+10 points for each correct answer
-5 points for each incorrect answer
0 points for each unanswered question
- The winners of the Challenge ONLINE will receive notification once the competition has ended.
1. Team Divisions: Middle and High School.
2. Team Composition
a. Teams shall be comprised of no more than four (4) members.
b. Competing with only three (3) members, if necessary, is possible and permissible.
c. All members of a team must be from the same public, private, or home-based high school.
d. Any certified secondary school teacher may serve as advisor.
e. Schools may enter multiple teams in the online competition.
f. There is no cost to either teachers or students to participate in the Personal Finance Challenge ONLINE!
• Study guidelines are provided.
• The eight top-scoring teams from grades 9-12 (no more than 2 teams can be from the same school or group) will advance to the state finals at the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, Charlotte Branch. The teams will compete in a quiz bowl, double elimination competition.
g. Teams may not reconstitute their team members for the State Championship.
3. Student Eligibility
a. No formal courses in Personal Finance are required. Any team of 6th – 12th grade students interested in Personal Finance is encouraged to compete.
b. Each student is to complete the challenge as an individual; students do not work as a group. Students may not utilize any outside materials or testing aids during their challenge session. The advisor is not to help the students by guiding them or re-phrasing a question.
c. Once competition begins, each student will be given 35 minutes to complete the challenge but all members of the same team must complete the exam within a 3 hour window.